Going to the Sun Road Tickets & Open Times: Everything You Need to Know to Access Going to the Sun
Over three million people visit Glacier National Park every year with plans to experience the famous Going-to-the-Sun Road and the incredible activities it provides access to. But this year, getting into Glacier is different.
In an effort to help reduce crowding, improve traffic flow, protect park resources and enhance visitor experiences and safety, a ticketing system is now in place. There are different types of tickets and reservations that are required for entering the park and it can be confusing trying to figure out which ones you need. This guide breaks it all down for you.
When is Going to the Sun Road Open?
The entire 52 miles of The Sun Road is usually open from late June to the middle of October, but the exact dates are entirely dependent on weather and road conditions. The Going-to-the-Sun Road will open in stages in spring as weather improves and snow removal is underway.
Before the road is opened to vehicles, bicyclists will have access. Additionally, even when the road is not completely opened, you can still access the lower sections year round.
Do you need tickets for Going-to-the-Sun Road?
You’ll need two different types of tickets to access Going-to-the-Sun Road, depending on when you visit; a Park Pass and Reservation. The amount of reservation tickets available is determined by how much of the road is open. The current maximum daily capacity is estimated to be 4,600 vehicles per day when the road is completely open. Read below for detailed information on which tickets you’ll need and how to obtain them.
How the Going to the Sun Road ticketing system works
To visit the Going-to-the-Sun Road, two types of tickets are required, depending on the date and time you visit.
1) Park Pass - A Park Pass is required for all visitors to Glacier National Park, regardless of date or time. 2) Vehicle Reservation OR Service Reservation - You'll need one of these two options.
- Vehicle Reservation: required to travel the Going-to-the-Sun Road between May 27th and September 11th, 2022 (typically Memorial Day to Labor Day).
- Service Reservation: for visitors with lodging, camping, or a guided tour reservation.
We’ll explain these passes in further detail:
This is the "easy" one and can be purchased online or at the entrance station. If the entrance station is not staffed when you arrive, a self-registration area is available.
*** Private Vehicle 7-day pass:** $35. Admits the passholder and up to 15 passengers of a single, private, non-commercial vehicle (car/truck/van).
- Motorcycle 7-day pass: $30. Admits the passholder and passenger of one motorcycle.
- Individual Pass: $20. Admits one individual bicyclist, hiker, or pedestrian visiting without a private vehicle.
- Annual Pass: $70. Admits the passholder, passenger of one motorcycle, or up to 15 passengers of a single, private, non-commercial vehicle (car/truck/van).
- America the Beautiful Pass: provides access to more than 2,000 recreation areas.
- Annual - $80
- 4th Grade Pass - Free for the duration of the 4th grader's school year though the following summer (September-August)
- Annual Pass for Military - Free
- Annual or Lifetime Senior Pass - $20 or $80 respectively
- Access Pass – $10 for people with permanent disabilities
- Volunteer Pass - Free for volunteers with with 250 service hours with federal agencies that participate in the Interagency Pass Program
The 7-day passes can be validated on any day within the 7-day window, though the park encourages people to validate their vehicle reservation on the first day if possible.
The pass can be printed or downloaded to your phone. IMPORTANT - Service is very limited in the park, so make sure the pass is printed, downloaded, or screenshot ahead of time. Passes are non-transferable, non-refundable, not replaceable if lost or stolen, and are void if altered or reproduced.
In addition to a Park Pass, visitors must have one of the following tickets to access the Going-to-the-Sun Road:
Required for each vehicle accessing the Going-to-the-Sun Road from the West Entrance Station, Camas Entrance Station, and the St. Mary Entrance Station (Rising Sun Area) from May 27 through September 11, 2022. It is valid for 3 days and the cost is $2.
A North Fork reservation is also required for vehicles entering at the Polebridge Entrance Station to Glacier National Park and is valid for 1 day.
Reservations can be obtained online at recreation.gov or:
- by calling the Reservation Line: 877-444-6777
- Reservation International: 606-515-6777
- Reservation Line (TDD) 877-833-6777
- or by using the recreation.gov mobile app (iOS/Android).
Tickets are released in two batches. Roughly half of the available tickets are released 120 days in advance. The remaining tickets are released the day before at 8:00AM.
How to Make Your Online Going-to-the-sun Reservation Online:
It can be frustrating to try and get tickets with limited supply available. When reserving online, it is recommended to set up your Recreation.gov account in advance. You can also find a few more helpful tips on ticketed entry reservations from the National Park.
- After creating an account, you can follow this link or use the site’s search bar to bring up the ‘Going-to-the-Sun Road Entry Ticket’ option, then click the blue ‘Book Now’ button.
- Next, click on the calendar icon in the date box to view the calendar and select the day you’re hoping to reserve. You’ll see the days have different color backgrounds and letter designations. The Blue ‘A’ indicates it’s available, and dates in gray are unavailable. The yellow dates with ‘NR’ means that there are still tickets available that have not yet been released. When you click on a date that has tickets available, you’ll be able to see how many tickets are left.
- Click on the ‘Quantity’ box and you’ll be able to select a ticket for a vehicle or a motorcycle. These tickets are valid for 3 days and you only need one per vehicle. Note that you can only purchase 1 ticket here. If you need to make a reservation for multiple vehicles or motorcycles, or for a second time frame, you’ll need to go complete the process again.
- Next click the blue “Add to Cart” button. If you haven’t logged in or signed up for an account yet, you’ll need to do so at this point to proceed. Then, you’ll see a page with your order details, you’ll have 15 minutes to complete the order. Verify your contact information and scroll down to read the ‘Need to Know’ information and click to confirm that you have read it. Next, click the blue ‘Proceed to Cart’ button. Verify that all the information is correct and then click to proceed to payment.
If you're more of a video person, check out this tutorial.
Exceptions to the Going-to-the-Sun Road reservations or if you’re not able to secure a reservation
Vehicle reservations are not required for visitors who:
- Enter the park before May 27, 2022 and after September 11, 2022.
- Enter the park at West Glacier or St. Mary before 6am or after 5pm. The park is open 24 hours a day. *Check to enure there is not road construction or other limiting factors during these hours. *
- Enter the park at the St. Mary Entrance prior to the Going-to-the-Sun Road being fully open.
- Enter the Many Glacier and Two Medicine areas of the park.
- Enter on foot or bicycle.
- Have a service reservation for camping, lodging, or guided tours (see below).
- Please be prepared to show proof of reservation (printed, downloaded, or screenshot) when you arrive at the entrance station. Service is very limited in the park so make sure to do this beforehand.
Visitors with lodging, camping, transportation, or guided tour reservations can use their service reservation receipt in lieu of the vehicle reservation. This will be valid only for the dates of your service reservation.
Valid for visitors who:
- Have overnight reservations including campgrounds, the Village Inn, Lake McDonald Lodge, Rising Sun Motor Inn, Granite Park and Sperry Chalets, or private lodging in the park.
- Have reservations for a guided tour including horseback rides, guided hikes, cycling tours, boat rides, or bus tours within Glacier’s Going-to-the-Sun Road corridor.
- Have Recreational Equipment Reservations (e.g., watercraft, bicycles): Equipment pickup in areas inside the West Entrance, Camas Entrance, and St. Mary Entrance.
Local Advice for Going-to-the-Sun Road Tickets
- Tickets become available online 120 days ahead of time. As soon as you know the date you’d like to visit, book it.
- Often when people are attempting to purchase vehicle reservations that become available the day before, there are so many people attempting to book that they get a ‘Busy’ or ‘Unable to Complete the Transaction’ message. It's frustrating! We get it. Please keep trying and remember to login in advance to improve your speed :)
- If you’re not able to secure a vehicle reservation, consider joining a guided tour! Or one of the other great activities near Glacier.
- Visit the park before 6am or after 5pm.
- Come before the required ticket dates which go into effect around Memorial Day through Labor Day.
- Visit on one of the free entrance days at Glacier National Park:
- Martin Luther King, Jr Day
- First Day of National Park Week
- Anniversary of the Great American Outdoors Act
- National Public Lands Day
- Veterans Day
Tips for Visiting:
- Check out our guide on How to Get to Glacier National Park
- Road conditions in Glacier National Park can change quickly. Temporary road closures and delays are always possible. Check the park's website for the current conditions.
- When visiting in the peak summer season, you should still expect congestion at popular areas and always be prepared with an alternate plan. If you can't find a parking spot at Logan Pass, there is some additional parking about 1/4 to 1/2 mile down towards St. Mary
- Be prepared to show your park pass, vehicle or service reservation, and photo ID at the park entrance station upon arrival.
- Consider biking into Glacier Park if you don't have a Ticketed Entry OR visit one of the incredible nearby destinations just outside the park like the Hungry Horse Reservoir, Essex, Mariah's Pass or the town of East Glacier.
Other FAQs About Glacier National Park's Ticketed Entry
When do Going-to-the-sun Road tickets become available online?
Tickets are made available 4-months in advance of the ticket date and another batch of tickets are available the day prior to the ticket date.
Where do I make a reservation for a Going-to-the-sun Ticket?
Reservations can be made at Recreation.gov online or you may call the Reservation Line: 877-444-6777
Do I need a ticketed entry to get into the Polebridge / North Fork entrance of Glacier?
Yes, beginning in 2022 you need a ticketed entry for this area of the park from May 27th to September 11th. North Fork entry reservations can be made here. The town of Polebridge is not within park boundaries and can be visited yearround without a reservation, just good tire on your vehicle!
Which parts of Glacier require a ticketed entry?
Camas Entrance, West Glacier Entrance, Rising Sun Checkpoint and Polebridge entrance station.
This article was written in 2022, but road conditions and Park policy are subject to change. Always check the road conditions before you visit and have a wonderful time visiting the amazing place!
Resources For Glacier National Park & the Flathead Valley
Local guides and traveling tips on the best things to do
Best Tours In & Around Glacier Park
Explore these top-rated tours in northwest Montana